Having a swimming pool in your backyard is a dream for many homeowners. Not only does it provide a refreshing escape during the hot summer months, but it also adds value to your property.
If you're considering installing an inground pool in Ontario, it's essential to understand the costs involved.
In this article, we'll provide you with a comprehensive guide on how much an inground pool typically costs in Ontario, considering various factors that influence the overall expense.
Factors That Affect The Price of an Inground Pool
- Size and Shape of the Pool: The size and shape of your desired inground pool significantly determine the cost. The larger and more complex the design, the higher the cost. Standard pool sizes usually range from 10x20 feet to 20x40 feet, with additional costs for customized shapes or larger dimensions.
Curved pools will typically result in additional costs as creating curves in construction results in additional waste, materials and labour to accommodate.
- Type of Pool: There are various materials used for inground pool construction, including vinyl, fibreglass, and concrete (gunite or shotcrete). Each material comes with its own advantages and price points. Vinyl tends to be the most affordable option, while fibreglass offers a balance between cost and durability. Concrete pools, although the most expensive, offer the greatest design flexibility.
- Site Preparation: Before installing an inground pool, site preparation is necessary. Factors such as the condition of the land, soil composition, accessibility, and any necessary excavation or levelling will impact the cost. Difficult terrain or excessive debris removal may require additional labour and equipment, thus increasing the overall expenses.
Sites with slopes and elevations will require additional preparation such as retaining walls built before or after a pool is installed.
- Additional Features: Consider the features you want to incorporate into your pool. This may include water features like waterfalls or fountains, lighting, heating systems, and pool covers. These add-ons can enhance your pool experience but will contribute to the overall cost.
- Permits and Regulations: In Ontario, obtaining permits for pool installation is mandatory. The cost of permits varies by municipality and is an additional expense to consider. It's crucial to adhere to local building codes, safety regulations, and fencing requirements to ensure your family's safety and comply with the law.
- DIY vs Professional Installation: While it may be tempting to consider a DIY approach to save money, hiring professional pool builders for proper installation is highly recommended. A reputable pool contractor will ensure quality craftsmanship, adhere to safety standards, and provide warranties for their work. Obtaining multiple quotes from different contractors will allow you to compare prices and make an informed decision.
Average Price of Inground Pools
While the specific cost of installing an inground pool in Ontario can vary significantly based on individual preferences and project requirements, it's helpful to understand the average price range for pool installations. Please note that these figures are approximate and can fluctuate depending on the factors previously discussed.
- Vinyl Pools: A vinyl pool installation in Ontario can range from $40,000 to $80,000 or more, depending on the pool size, shape, and additional features.
- Fibreglass Pools: The average price range for a fibreglass pool installation in Ontario typically starts around $50,000 and can go up to $90,000 or more, depending on the pool's size, shape, and additional features.
- Concrete Pools: The average cost of a concrete pool installation in Ontario usually starts around $50,000 and can exceed $100,000 or more, depending on the pool size, shape, complexity, and additional features.
Installing an inground pool in your Ontario home can be a worthwhile investment in both personal enjoyment and property value. However, it's important to consider all the factors that influence the cost. By understanding the size, shape, materials, site preparation, additional features, permits, ongoing maintenance, installation costs, and the average price range, you can make an informed decision that suits your budget and preferences.
Remember to consult with local experts and consider your pool's long-term benefits and enjoyment.
If you have any questions, feel free to send us a message. Have a no-obligation conversation with us about your outdoor living space. If we can't help you, we'll find you someone that can help you.